The author identifies some of the reasons contributing to derailing of manhood in today's society:
- Lack of all-male groups, continuous attempts to involve women in the remaining men's groups such as fraternities
- Lack of hardship including physical stress and challenges
- Lack of manly role models, raising sons by single moms, lack of male teachers in schools
- Glorification of feminism
- Effects of modern life on testosterone production
The author's book is influenced by Jack Donovan's work, can be useful to read as well.